The first mention about Kolomna as a town dates back to 1177. It was a town in the border between Ryazan' Principality and Vladimir Principality, both were powerful countries of those times. In XIII AD Tatar troops invaded in Russian territories but the princes didn't want to join and led their own armies which were beaten. In 1238 Tatar got Kolomna and completely destroyed it, and the town was empty over some years. In 1301 Kolomna became a town in Moscow Principality and the town is still in Moscow region (Moskovskaya oblast'). In XIV century Kolomna became the one of Orthodox Church center. In 1380 there was famous Kulikovskaya battle with Tatar and Russian troops had a win. Russian army was gathered in Kolomna from different Russian fields and then moved to the enemies. In XV century the town was one of the cultural and trade center in Moscow region. In those times Kremlin was built. In XVII-XVIII centuries Kolomna was a big port for trading with southern countries. In 1775 Ekaterina II the Great, Russian Empress, visited the town and then the town sign was worked out. In 1869 in Kolomna the first Russian train was produced.